Sensing and Sensibility for IoX in Smart Living and Healthcare│2015 SEMICON Taiwan
- Smart Living Technology and Application Business Opportunity, Smart Living Technology and Application Business Opportunity, IoT Technology, Emerging Application and Strategy, IoT Technology, Emerging Application and Strategy, Smart Medical
Stephen Su, General Director of IEK, was invited to share “Sensing and Sensibility for IoX in Smart Living and Healthcare” at the SEMICON Taiwan 2015 MEMS Forum with the theme as “MEMS for Smart IoT.” In this presentation, Stephen talked about the title of the presentation was inspired by Jane Austen’s famous novel “Sense and Sensibility” written in 1811. It was made into a movie by Lee Ang from Taiwan in 1995, exactly 20 years ago just as SEMI Taiwan is celebrating its 20th years. Similar to the novel characters who are divided between being rational vs. going with the heart and feeling, Stephen stated that “sensing” is only the basic function for IoT, but most importantly higher value-add would only come from providing the right products and services tendering to the needs of people, which is equivalent to the meaning of “sensibility.”
During his presentation, he emphasized a few key messages:
- The world is undergoing an industry revolution from Energy Economy to Data Economy. The similarity between the two economies is that the value-add comes from exploration, drilling, processing, applications as in Energy Economy. However, the main difference is that while natural resource is limited in Energy Economy, the need for data in Data Economy will continue to explode. Hence the need for data storage will continue to surge.
- IoT is Driving Both Smart Living and Productivity.
- Mass Customization will be the future manufacturing. For example, Nike shoes will involve custom-made shows with different right/left shoe sizes. Multiple sensors would be incorporated in both consumer and manufacturing ends.
- There are four smart applications: Energy, Security, Entertainment, and Healthcare.
- People’s needs are critical to IoT Success: IoT + People to Services = Internet of Minds (IoM)
- Smart Entertainment use case: Stanford uses VR for football quarterback training.
- Taiwan sensor vertical value chain becomes increasingly competitive as end-product and system integration companies like hTC, Advantech, Tatung, etc. begin to lead vertical chain integration.
- ITRI has comprehensive technology development in sensors and cross-disciplinary domain expertise.
- Smart Living Sensors Everywhere
- Sensing and Sensibility Use Cases
- Taiwan Sensor Industry Status
|Sensing and Sensibility for IoX in Smart Living and Healthcare│2015 SEMICON Taiwan||Download||402|